Thursday, March 26, 2009

Post six day stay at Springbrook Hospital

I am feeling much better now. Isn't it amazing what the proper medications can do? This latest adventure started last Friday morning at my PHP (Post Hospitalization Program) group. Joe advised me to be completely honest with my feelings, so I let the therapist know that my thoughts of suicide had been becoming more frequent. She thought is was best to place me back into the hospital. I went voluntarily, I'm certain they would have Baker Acted me otherwise.

This stay was very productive. I started out my day there in admissions. It took forever,but while I was there I met Dee. Dee and I ended up being good friend while there. We had a couple of things in common, but I can't say we looked a lot alike. For some strange reason, many people got our names confused. Maybe because we came in at the same time, or maybe because we were together all the time. Either way, she was my pal, and I was greatful to have someone like her around while I was there.

Another thing I learned while there was how badly being on the wrong medication can effect you. I spoke to a Nurse Practitioner before actually speaking to the doctor. She told me that the Cymbalta that I had been taking rarely ever works. Not only that, she was certain that it was the cause of my increasing thoughts of suicide. I haven't taken it since Thursday night, and I haven't thought of suicide since then. Now I've been taking Effexor (an antidepressant) and Geodon (an antipsychotic). My doctor assured my that the Geodon was given to me to aid in the effectiveness of the anti depressants. Joe likes to joke around and say i'm bipolar. My diagnosis is Major Depressive Disorder recurrent NOT Bipolar Disorder.

No comments:

Post a Comment